The Assistant Controller is responsible for supporting the Controller group. Responsible for balance sheet account reconciliations, journal entries, month-end closing, forecasting and budgeting. The Assistant controller is responsible for meeting corporate and external reporting requirements.
The Assistant Controller will ensure accuracy and timeliness of project and report completion, in all areas of responsibility. Communicate clearly and promptly with distribution centers, Division management team and corporate office to insure control & compliance with company policies and procedures.
- Timely and accurate completion of month end journal entries, balance sheet and P&L.
- Effectively completing the month–end financial close process.
- Perform operational analysis as requested, as well as assignment of special projects.
- Perform Monthly forecast and support annual budget process
- The Assistant Controller is responsible for knowing and following policies and procedures of the company; for sharing information that would benefit other members of the team; and for finding ways to improve the productivity and profitability of our division.
- Under the direction of the Regional HR Director is responsible for ensuring payroll and Human Resources policies and functions related to hourly and salaried personnel are adhered to.
The Assistant Controller must be able to recognize and respond to situations that require a sense of urgency or are the result of non-compliance with corporate policy(s). This person should have the ability to assess various situations and environments objectively. The Assistant Controller must always understand the importance of acting ethically and appropriately in many business situations.
- Education: B.S. Degree in Accounting or Finance (REQUIRED).
- Work Experience: 5+ years in an accounting or finance role, manufacturing environment preferred. Public accounting experience will also be considered.
- Skills: Strong Excel Spreadsheet working knowledge and SAP proficiency preferred.
- General: Very high attention to detail, good organizational skills, good communications skills, reacts well to time pressure, comfortable working in plant environment and is motivated to learn all aspects of the manufacturing operation.
Ability to read and interpret financial statements, general business periodicals, professional journals, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively with customers and employees of the company.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, volume, and net present value.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer literate (MS Office including Word and Excel as well as accounting software)
Proficient knowledge and application of accounting principles
Quality standards – both ISO and QS
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job.
Employee is regularly required to walk and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. Vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The performance of the Accountant will be measured as follows:
- Operating standards - The employee will need to meet or exceed the Operating Standards set in the areas of quality, cost, safety, planning, customer satisfactions, supervision, efficiency, and productivity. Such standards will be set annually and communicated to the manager.
- Personal growth - Each year there will be professional goals developed and agreed to by the manager and supervisor.
- Employee relations – The employee will be evaluated regarding his/her behaviors associated with appropriate human interaction, respect, and communication.
- Creativity – This will be evaluated by how active the employee is in participating in advancing the business through new and innovative ideas.