The Divisional Controller is responsible for ensuring the Logistics Division entities are meeting the necessary functions related to financial control, financial reporting, Accounts Receivable management, project and fixed asset control, controlling the payment cycle. In addition the Divisional Controller would ensure all profit centers and internal management teams have sound budgeting and forecast techniques. The Divisional Controller will ensure that the Divisionabide by Company policy and procedure and ensure all risk is managed where necessary.
- Ensure all profit centers are compliant as regards accurate and timely bookkeeping and reporting.
- Control the budgeting and forecasting to expected levels of accuracy.
- Assist all profit centers and internal management teams in all areas of query and concern. Cover for the controllers who are not able to perform duties from time to time.
- Understand and support the requirements as set out by the corporate financial office.
- Work with all profit centers and internal management teams including general managers to ensure support and understanding of business rules and ethics. Utilizing experience assist and guide plants to effective decision making on key issues.
- As a member of the management team, the Divisional Controller is responsible for knowing and following policies and procedures of the company; sharing information which would benefit other members of the team; and for finding ways to improve the productivity and profitability of the facility.
- Manage projects including, re-structures, Mergers and Acquisitions, capital projects, or projects geared at improving overall profitability.
- Manage the KPI program to ensure the program is accurate and delivers the goals as set out.
The Divisional Controller must be able to recognize and respond to situations that require a sense of urgency or are the result of non-compliance with corporate policy(s). This person should have the ability to assess various situations and environments objectively. The Divisional Controller must always understand the importance of acting ethically and appropriately in many business situations.
- Education: B.S. Degree in Accounting or Finance (REQUIRED) Preferably a CPE or MBA post graduate education.
- Work Experience: 10+ years in a Controller or Divisional Controller role. Work history with a logistics company is highly desired.
- Skills: Excellent people skills at management level including knowledge and adaptability to systems.
- General: Attention to detail, good organizational skills, good communications skills, reacts well to time pressure, comfortable working in plant environment and is motivated to learn all aspects of the distribution center and manufacturing operations.
Must have ability to read and interpret financial statements, general business periodicals, professional journals, operating and maintenance instructions procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively with customers and employees / management of the company.
Above average ability to both calculate figures and amounts while understanding the connections in business model of the various connectors which enable managers to present an opinion. An advanced ability to quickly asses and review numbers as presented.
Must have ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Computer literate to an above average level (MS Office including Word and Excel as well as accounting software)
Proficient knowledge and application of accounting principles.
Must have the ability to manage and influence people in process, procedure and accountability.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job.
Employee is regularly required to walk and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. Vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The performance of the Divisional Controller will be measured as follows:
- Operating standards - The Divisional Controller will need to meet or exceed the Operating Standards set in the areas of quality of financial accounting, cost control, safety, planning and budgeting, stakeholder satisfaction, supervision, efficiency, and productivity. Such standards will be set annually and communicated to the manager.
- Personal growth - Each year there will be professional goals developed and agreed to by the manager and supervisor.
- Employee relations – The employee will be evaluated regarding his/her behaviors associated with appropriate human interaction, respect, and communication.
- Creativity – This will be evaluated by how active the employee is in participating in advancing the business through new and innovative ideas.