About the Role
This position is a highly collaborative, detail oriented structural designer who thrives in a fast paced environment, and has a track record of producing cost effective P.O.P. displays. As part of our in-house Design team, the Structural Designer will be responsible for creating displays for a variety of customers along with all associated part drawings and assembly instructions. The structural Designer ensures that the units meet customer requirements, are structurally sound, and meet ISTA transportation test requirements. The designer will work on cross functional teams in a fast paced atmosphere. The skill set requires multi-tasking and strong organizational skills to ensure adherence to deadlines.
About the Company
Pratt Display, a division of Pratt Industries, is America’s preferred supplier of sustainably sourced point-of purchase display. Pratt Industries is the 5th largest box manufacturer in USA and the world’s largest, privately held 100% recycled paper and packaging company, employing more than 7,000 “green collar” employees. Headquartered in Conyers, GA, the company operates four of the most modern, cost-effective paper mills in the country, producing more than one million tons of 100% recycled paper a year.
With a seasoned design and account management team and strategically located facilities, Pratt Display has the in-store solution for your retail needs. The company provides clients with advertising display that influence consumers’ buying decisions and Pratt’s ability to engage the consumer is based upon research and on-going study of the retail marketplace. The company’s portfolio is extensive – encompassing everything from temporary, semi-permanent to permanent display, and for industries ranging from automotive to beauty.
• Create cost effective P.O.P. displays to customer specifications
• Produces high level design and documentation including part specifications and assembly instructions efficiently and accurately
• Produce quality display samples utilizing Kongsberg sample makers.
• Submit displays for ISTA testing
• Champion continuous process improvements to meet ever-changing customer needs and to increase productivity and profitability
• Partner cross-functionally to enable and encourage successful team collaboration across projects
• Motivate, inspire and build a positive team atmosphere to ensure effective relationships among the Design team and partners
• Mentor and assist in training of new Design team members
• Maintain proficient knowledge of all aspects of design process and ensure understanding of project flow beyond Design
• Bachelor’s Degree preferably in design or equivalent work experience
• 3-7 years experience in the POP display/packaging industry working with corrugated, paperboard and plastic materials
• Demonstrated ability to create cost effective corrugated displays
• Complete end to end understanding of the design process & ISTA testing
• Thorough knowledge of design requirements across multiple customers & retailers
• Proficient in ArtiosCad, TOPS/CAPE, Adobe Creative Suite, and Microsoft Office Suite software
• Dedication to excellence and quality
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the proven ability to work effectively in a highly interactive team environment
• Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
• Detail/results oriented with the ability to analyze data to determine root causes of problems and trends
• Ability to multi-task with superior time management skills and adherence to deadlines
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
The individual must have a working knowledge of the following:
Equipment design and capabilities that can be translated into efficient operation.
Cost issues in order to make daily decisions that will reduce overall costs and will help the supervisor find areas that require improvement.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and sit and stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job.
The individual must posses the following:
Superior time management skills including the ability to manage multiple issues concurrently and the ability to lead an effective and efficient meeting.
Personal growth - while the company will provide the tools to assist the Designer to grow professionally the responsibility for moving forward lies with the individual. Each year there will be goals developed and agreed to by the supervisor.
Creativity - this will be evaluated by how active the Designer and his/her in participating in advancing the business through new and innovative ideas.