POSITION: Quality Manager
Reports to: General Manager/Services Manager
This position is responsible for leading the Continuous Improvement initiatives within Safety and Quality at the Plant. This position will provide leadership, planning, technical direction, communication and coaching skills to ensure safe production of high quality products to meet customer needs in the most cost effective manner. Individual acts as leader and driver of all quality initiatives for plant location; interacts and partners with manufacturing, sales and design teams, vendors and customers in meeting internal and external customer quality requirements.
- Directs the Quality Management System at the plant
- Train and educate the organization and implement continuous improvement methodologies such as 6 Sigma, 5S, Lean, OE and others
- Drives Continuous Improvement to quantitatively and qualitatively improve costs, quality and service.
- Drives plant accountabilities in the areas of: tracking vendor performance, resolution and disposition of customer complaints, investigating critical quality defects on in-process and finished products, generation and analysis of quality data and reports
- Insures all customer feedback is promptly dealt with and any complaints are acted upon by the plant using root cause analysis and implementing corrective action
- Supports safety as a top priority in training, job design and regulatory compliance
- Ensures product quality. Establishes and manages systems for “right first time” performance and incorporates this philosophy in the continuous improvement teams.
- Focuses on plant wide issues and inter-plant initiatives including developing synergies and business opportunities to optimize other manufacturing plants
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Leadership and Management
- Systemic problem solver, implement solutions to solve root cause problems
- Inspires team spirit and loyalty to organization
- Able to handle multiple, complex priorities and balance the needs of each according to business impact
- Strong business and technical skills and processing, packaging and logistics
- Coaching, Motivating and Mentoring
- Sets expectations, tracks and communicates results, and creates environment for accountability for results and actions
- Understands and uses individual and team development tools
- Confident to give employees space to learn and make mistakes
- Strong written, oral and communication skills
- Excellent listener. Ability to translate operational issues into corrective action procedures
- Creative and change oriented. Continuous Improvement process skills
- Strong ability to learn
- High energy, assertive, energetic and a self-starter
MINIMUM PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- College degree in manufacturing, engineering, logistics or equivalent work experience
- Experience in a variety of manufacturing areas (production, logistics)
- Experience in quality system management or mfg/corrugated leadership preferred
- Competent with MS Office and Statistical software
- Previous ISO certification desired
- Six Sigma Green Belt certification desired
Computer literacy. Must be proficient with Microsoft Office especially Excel, Access and PowerPoint. High school graduate or equivalent with related college degree and/or technical courses or associate (two-year) college degree. Minimum of three years of experience in a related field and knowledge of LEAN manufacturing, ISO, Six Sigma preferred.
Able to read a tape measure with speed and accuracy. Able to calculate figures and amounts such as percentages, measurement, volume and rate. Able to apply concepts of high school math.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Employee is regularly required to walk and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.