The Mechanical Engineering Intern will be responsible for working closely with our Production, Maintenance, and Engineering staff to integrate their knowledge/skills and real world experiences to help optimize mechanical processes and reduce machine downtime. The goal of the internship is for the intern to become educated on the processes within the paper mills and use the knowledge gained to improve the process and end product. You can expect a local champion to provide mentorship and guidance throughout the internship.
Education and/or Experience:
Must be currently enrolled in Paper Science or Mechanical Engineering related degree field with one year of study completed.
8 or 10 hour “day” Monday-Friday, occasional weekend on-call coverage
- Follow safe practices at all times
- Perform continuous assessment of product quality and operational efficiencies
- Assist team to resolve operating problems with process, maintenance, and plant engineering support
- Conduct statistical studies for operation review
- Update and maintain Process Safety Information (PSI) such as P&ID’s and PFD’s, and Safe Operating Limit Documentation (SOL’s)
- Must learn to quickly analyze data
- Assist in writing standard operating procedures and training manuals
- Provide engineering support to other departments as needed
- Present to the department periodically and at the end of the internship
- Perform other tasks as required by Mill Management
Additional Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Requirements:
- Practical application training may require some out-of-state travel to various other Pratt Paper Mills
- Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (glasses, earplugs, shoes, gloves, etc…)
- Drug testing/Screening, Background Checks, Physical exam, and Reference Checks
- Demonstrates a proven record of learning aptitude
- Participate in ongoing educational certificate training program provided
- Housekeeping, including washing up, sweeping, and shoveling debris
- Must have excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills
- Must possess a spirit of curiosity and willingness to learn and grow
- Needs to be self-reliant, be self-directed, take initiative to move forward with ideas, be committed and be able to work with and influence others
Manufacturing environment and will be subject to moving mechanical parts, electrical currents, vibrations, fumes, odors, dusts, gases, chemicals, oils, extreme temperatures, and loud noises.
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, typing, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Very Heavy Work: Exerting in excess of 100 pounds of force occasionally, and or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Medical (HSA Plan)/Dental/Vision Plans
401K Plan: 3.5% dollar for dollar match
100% Tuition Reimbursement
Annual $500 Healthy Lifestyles Program
Virgin Pulse Program, ability to reach $1,200 to your HSA annually
Supplemental Life Insurance Plans
Supplemental Spouse and Child Life Insurance plans
Income Protection Plans
Legal and Travel Assistance Plans
EAP/Home Auto Insurance Plans