The Mechanical Technician position is part of a Maintenance Team that supports the paper mill. The position coordinates closely with the paper mill operations teams as customers of the reliability centered maintenance support services the maintenance team is responsible for delivering. The Mechanical Technician position reports to the Mechanical Maintenance Supervisor. This is a position in our high performance work system that works a rotating 24 hour, 7 day per week shift schedule. There are both day (Monday through Friday) assignments and shift assignments. It is expected that all of our Mechanical Technician positions will fill both day and shift roles over the course of time.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The principal responsibilities of the Mechanical Technician position are to ensure that the processes are maintained in a preventive fashion to ensure optimum reliability and up time. This position troubleshoots processes and has the ability to diagnose mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic problems associated with process equipment. The Mechanical Technician is responsible for repairing malfunctioning equipment such as pumps, transmissions and other components.
Mechanical Technician must be able to operate motorized equipment such as forklifts, scissor lifts, Genie lifts, hoists and cranes. The Mechanical Technician must possess basic to intermediate math skills. Must be able to read and understand blue prints, technical manuals and literature. Must be able to read orders and prepare reports legibly and properly.
The candidate should be able to:
- Apply safe working practices and understand the principles of preventive and first-line maintenance
- Correctly diagnose a range of mechanical faults and plan a suitable course of action
- Understand the principles of power transmission systems; recognize, remove and refit taper-lock bushes, keyed shafts, belts, chains & couplings; install & align shafts; tension drive train components
- Correctly remove and refit various types of bearings (roller, ball, etc) identify various bearing types, understand their typical applications & recognize common defects
- Recognize stripped threads and correctly use thread repair equipment
- Manufacture gaskets and understand how to remove and replace seals and gland packing
- Understand the operation of various gearboxes, (helical, spur and worm-wheel)
- Correctly dismantle and replace drive belts
- Recognize various types of conveyor systems and their main components
- Identify typical faults and correctly remove, replace and track a conveyor belt
- Employ the appropriate welding process (MIG, TIG, or Stick, as appropriate)
- Pipe fitting duties as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
EDUCATION and/or REQUIRED EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary educational degree (2 to 4 year degree from college, university, technical school, military, vocational or other advanced educational institution)
- Computer/Data entry skills.
Able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, blue prints, P&ID’s, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Able to read a tape measure with speed and accuracy. Able to calculate figures and amounts such as percentages, measurement, volume and rate. Able to apply concepts of high school math.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or graphic form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Leading root cause analysis and problem solving teams. Analytical and field troubleshooting skills.
Working knowledge of mechanical and electrical machinery, including conveyor systems, breakers, boilers, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, etc. Knowledge of computer systems and the ability to learn new complex applications.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
May be required to maintain a current Lift Truck Operator License and/or other appropriate certification to work in certain areas or on certain equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, & REQUIREMENTS
1) Wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (glasses, ear plugs, shoes, gloves, etc.)
2) Drug testing/Screening, Background Checks, Physical exam, and Reference Checks
3) Demonstrates a proven record of learning aptitude
4) Participate in ongoing educational certificate training program provided
5) Housekeeping, including washing up, sweeping, and shoveling debris.
6) Working knowledge of equipment design for process troubleshooting.
7) Perform other tasks as required by Mill Management.
Mechanical Technicians will be Salaried Non-Exempt (qualify for overtime above 40 hrs./week)
Starting Base Salary: $62,500/yr. (Based on 2080 hrs)
There is built-in overtime with the day and (4) four shift rotating schedule
Mill Incentive Program: Monthly maximum of 33.3% of Base Salary (Paid Quarterly)
Total Compensation: Ability to earn $95,000.00+ per year with base salary, overtime, and incentive plan
ADDITIONAL OPPORTUNITIES FOR SALARY INCREASES
Skills Enhancement Learning Program: (2) competency levels to increase base salary rate
Annual Performance Reviews
Participating Medical/Dental/Vision Plans
401K Plan with Company Match
Mill Incentive Program: Maximum 100% of one month’s base salary (Paid each quarter)
Tuition Reimbursement/Assistance Program
Healthy Lifestyles Program/Virgin Pulse Fitness Tracking
Gym Reimbursement Program
Supplemental Life Insurance Plans
Supplemental Spouse and Child Life Insurance plans
Short Term Disability/Long Term Disability
Child Bearing & Parental Leave
Income Protection Plans
Legal and Travel Assistance Plans
EAP/Home Auto Insurance Plans