The Assistant Production Manager provides leadership and guidance with the ability to influence positive change throughout the production department. This position will participate in safety, quality, waste, productivity, and staff development. The Assistant Production Manager must be able to manage different levels of experience and provide recommendations for improvement. Additionally, must be able to analyze data to determine root causes of efficiency deficits and drive improvements to achieve the best possible outcome for Pratt Paper (IN), LLC. This position reports to the Production Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: (Other duties may be assigned):
Maintain top level safety and housekeeping in the plant
- Work with Stock Prep, Wet End, and Dry End to develop sustainable housekeeping expectations for the machine.
Work with Process Engineer on developing and implementing time and cost saving projects.
Process & production optimization
Monthly and annual shut preparations
Efficiently reducing downtime and increasing machine run ability and daily tonnage produced
Mill operational cost control/ Specialty chemical efficiency and cost controls
Make recommendations and assist in capital planning and budget development
Interfacing with non-exempt team members to transfer knowledge, skills, & expertise
Oversee the operation of entire production department as well as maintain quality, efficiencies and production levels to high industry standards to facilitate making profits.
Evaluate new trends (production methods and machinery, personnel development, safety programs, etc.) within the manufacturing industry.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
The educational requirements are a four (4) year Bachelor of Science in Pulp and Paper Science, Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, or related field or real world experience equivalent to the above mentioned educational background.
At least 10 years of manufacturing experience in various paper mills required
Candidates are PREFERRED who offer the following:
- Experience working on multiple paper machines
- Experience working with multiple stock preparation systems
- Experience working in a pulp mill
- Experience working in old paper mills (pre-1990’s equipment)
- Experience working in new paper mills (2000- present equipment)
- Experience with multiple paper machine start-ups
- Experience with project/machine design for start-ups and upgrades
- Experience with high mixed waste recycle
- Experience in all areas of the machine (Stock Prep, Wet-End, Dry-End, Winder)
The candidate must speak and write English at a college level.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures, manuals, regulations, and codes
Ability to write business reports and correspondence
Ability to communicate effectively with suppliers, contractors, and employees
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, volume, and net present value. Able to apply concepts of algebra and geometry along with basic math (adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing)
The candidate must be able to troubleshoot mechanical, electrical and chemical systems
Ability to gather information and perform root cause analysis and problem solving
Ability to create reports for review by upper management
Ability to lead teams in waste reduction efforts
Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Advanced knowledge and experience in paper making, process engineering and plant operations.
- To also include: Raw Materials, Stock Preparation equipment and water systems, Approach Flow and water systems, Vacuum Systems, Fourdrinier table management, pressing equipment including size press
Employee is regularly required to walk, talk, and hear
Employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, feel; and reach with hands and arms
The employee is occasionally required to sit
The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
Vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and fumes of airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is generally loud. This position requires availability via phone or in person, where applicable, for all mill safety or production incidents.
The individual must possess the following:
- Superior time management skills including the ability to manage multiple issues concurrently.
- Excellent employee relations skills including being an active listener.
- Excellent crisis manager who demonstrates that he/she has a high emotional control.
- Demonstrated confidence including providing a consistent leadership style with an acceptable level of professional assertiveness.
- Professional appearance to support his/her role as a managerial representative of the company. Ability to influence others.
- Excellent decision-making and organizational skills.
Participating Medical/Dental/Vision Plans
401K Plan with Company Match
Mill Incentive Program: Earn up to 33.3% of monthly base pay each month (Paid Quarterly)
Tuition Reimbursement / Assistance Program
Healthy Lifestyles Program
Gym Reimbursement Program
Supplemental Life Insurance Plans
Supplemental Spouse and Child Life Insurance plans
Income Protection Plans
Legal and Travel Assistance Plans
EAP/Home Auto Insurance Plans