Leads environmental compliance activities in all areas of manufacturing facility and the Valparaiso campus by providing professional knowledge and expertise in the administration and support of environmental programs.
Education and/or Experience:
Four years of experience within the environmental field
Post-secondary educational degree (2 to 4 year degree from college, university, technical school, military, vocational or other advanced educational institution) REQUIRED
Candidates are preferred who offer the following:
BS degree in an Environmental related field
Experience in the Environmental field in the paper industry
Certificates, Licenses and/or Registrations:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interacts with the plant personnel and company management to communicate environmental requirements, identifies compliance issues, implements compliance requirements, and acts as a technical resource.
- Oversee environmental and regulatory compliance (FESOP, Discharge Permit, Storm water, etc.).
- Complete required environmental inspections, training and submittals.
- Communicate with government agencies (LDEQ, EPA, City of Valparaiso, etc…).
- Investigate complaints from surrounding community and foster a good relationship with neighbors.
- Develops systems to ensure compliance with environmental regulations.
- Oversees facility inspections and audits to continuously improve mill environmental performance and mill profitability.
- Oversees and leads incident investigations and verifies implementation of corrective action.
- Conducts permitting review applicability of capital and maintenance projects.
- Acts as the interface between management and outside agencies in resolving major environmental issues.
- Provides training to plant personnel on key environmental issues, environmental requirements and compliance.
- Maintain membership in applicable environmental associations to stay informed of new developments and trends.
- Prepare legal notices, postings, and reports as required by government and regulatory bodies.
- Prepares and manages contracts with suppliers and consultants for major projects and routine activities.
- Works independently with outside consultants, contractors and legal counsel.
- Assembles and assimilates technical information for permitting activities.
- Oversee Sustainability projects and reporting by working with departmental managers and mill personnel.
- Provide ongoing statistical analysis and reporting on mill sustainability projects and goals to mill and corporate personnel as required.
- Additional duties as assigned by management.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures, manuals, regulations, and codes
Ability to write business reports and correspondence
Ability to communicate effectively with suppliers, contractors, employees and outside officials to the company
Clear, concise oral and written communication skills
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, volume, and net present value. Able to apply concepts of algebra and geometry along with basic math (adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing)
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
Ability to gather information and perform root cause analysis and problem solving
Ability to create reports for review by upper management
Ability to lead teams in waste reduction efforts
Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Knowledge of Quality Standards (e.g. ISO 9001/2000 and EMS 14001)
The individual must possess the following:
- Superior time management skills
- Excellent crisis manager who demonstrates that he/she has a high emotional control
- Excellent employee relations skills including being an active listener
- Demonstrated confidence including providing a consistent leadership style with an acceptable level of professional assertiveness
- Professional appearance to support his/her role as a managerial representative of the company. Ability to influence others
- Excellent decision-making and organizational skills
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Medical (HSA Plan)/ Dental/ Vision Plans
401K Plan: 3.5% dollar for dollar match
100% Tuition Reimbursement
Annual $500 Healthy Lifestyles Program
Virgin Pulse Program - ability to earn $1,200 for your HSA (annually)
Supplemental Life Insurance Plans
Supplemental Spouse and Child Life Insurance plans
Income Protection Plans
Legal and Travel Assistance Plans
EAP/Home Auto Insurance Plans
Company Issued Cell Phone or Cell Phone Reimbursement