Boxes - we deal with them everyday, and we certainly notice the stand-outs amongst the sea of brown in our recycling bins. Some wowed us with their strength while we cursed others for falling apart. Some pleased our eyes with graphics while others went completely ignored. Packaging makes a statement, and our Packaging Designers are the craftspeople behind them.
Have a flair for both the creative and structural sides of packaging design? Pratt Industries is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Designer to join our team.
Why choose Pratt?
- Our Culture
- Growth/Development – we believe strongly in investing in our talented people as we know that their success means our collective success.
- Family – we view each of our fellow coworkers as extended family and are proud to welcome each of you.
- Sustainability - Pratt Industries’ is the world’s largest, privately-held producer of 100% recycled containerboard, and we continue to invest in sustainability. Currently, we save DAILY:
- 85,000 trees
- 35 million gallons of water
- 20 million kWh of electricity
- 5,000 tons of greenhouse gas emissions
- 16,500 cubic yards of recyclable materials from the ending in the landfill
- Growing Team - year over year, Pratt expands its customer base, the number of facilities it operates, and the number of talented team members it employs.
- Business Model - Our “Close the Loop” model allows us to help the environment, our people, and our communities
What does a Packaging Designer do for Pratt Industries?
Our Packaging Designers are responsible for overseeing creation of artwork and structural box samples to assist Sales Representatives in sales promotions. This function is crucial to gaining and keeping customers through unique and quality boxes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Formulate and communicate ideas for new accounts or products, analyzing customer needs and production feasibility.
- Accompany Sales Representatives on occasion to present new products or designs to customers or prospects.
- Review accounts and make recommendations for updates on style, board weight, new developments, etc.
- Analyze changes in the industry and research innovations in equipment that can be adapted to company operations.
- Produce samples on CAD table or cut samples by hand.
- Make production specifications from proto-type.
- Responsible for meeting deadlines with possible overtime required.
- Implement, maintain, and support all company policies and procedures, including safety and maintaining good housekeeping.
- Additional duties may be assigned by management.
- College education or heavy college coursework in the field of CAD, drafting, design, and engineering.
- Five years experience in a graphics, drafting or related field.
- Good communicator with customers and sales staff.
- Candidates are PREFERRED who offer the following:
- 3-5 years experience in the packaging or a related field.
- Knowledge of Artios CAD, Kongsberg table, or similar tools.
- Experience in a production/manufacturing facility, especially in the corrugated industry.
- Schooling or training in art.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and sit and stand. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.