• Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in verifying and keeping records on incoming and outgoing shipments, and preparing items for shipment: Studies shipping notices, bills of lading, invoices, orders, and other records to determine shipping priorities, work assignments, and shipping methods required to meet shipping and receiving schedules, utilizing knowledge of shipping procedures, routes, and rates.
• Oversees incoming and outgoing shipping activities to ensure accuracy, completeness, and condition of shipments.
• Determines space requirements and position of shipment in trucks and lays out position of shipment.
• Determines routing and legal load limits of trucks, according to established schedules and weight limits of states.
• Inspects loading operations to ensure compliance with shipping specifications, and seals loaded truck doors.
• Inspects material handling equipment for defects and notifies maintenance personnel or contacts outside service facility for repair.
• Maintains vehicle maintenance report.
• Directs movement of shipments from shipping and receiving platform to storage and work areas.
• Compiles records of unfilled orders.
• Posts weight and shipping charges.
• Prepares bills of lading.
• May assist workers in shipping and receiving activities.
Directly supervises all employees assigned to the department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; conflict resolution; team building; coaching and leading employees to improve; addressing complaints and resolving problems; documentation; and setting an example of superior behavior, attitude and performance.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or GED.
Two years’ experience as a Forklift Operator & Forklift Certification
One year shipping experience.
Candidates are PREFERRED who offer the following:
College and/or related technical experience.
One year supervisory experience as a proven manager of at least five people.
Four years experience in the corrugated box industry but, will train.
Able to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Able to read a tape measure with speed and accuracy. Able to calculate figures and amounts such as percentages, measurement, volume and rate. Able to apply concepts of high school math.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or graphic form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
May be required to maintain a current Lift Truck Operator License.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
• The individual must possess the following:
• Superior time management skills including the ability to manage multiple issues concurrently and the ability to lead an effective and efficient meeting.
• Teaching skills in order to function effectively as a teacher for his personnel both in the technical and administrative parts of the position.
• Excellent crisis manager who demonstrates that he/she has a high emotional control under adverse conditions and can lead his/her personnel to a successful resolution.
• Excellent employee relations skills including being an active listener, understanding how to appraise personnel, applying both positive and corrective feedback, being able to resolve conflicts either involving the supervisor directly or Operations Manager, understands and demonstrates positive motivational skills including coaching and delegation techniques.
• Demonstrated confidence including providing a consistent leadership style with an acceptable level of professional assertiveness.
• Professional appearance to support his/her role as a managerial representative of the company.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans