JOB PURPOSE: This position is responsible for leading the Continuous Improvement initiatives and Safety initiatives at the Plant. This position will provide leadership, planning, communication and coaching skills to ensure safe production of high quality products to meet customer needs in the most cost effective and safe manner. Ensures compliance with Company Mission Statement, Safety & Quality Policy, and all customer guidelines and agreements to ensure products and services meet quality requirements.
- Directs the Quality Management System at the plant
- Drives Continuous Improvement to improve costs, quality and service.
- Drives plant accountabilities in the areas of: tracking vendor performance, resolution and disposition of customer complaints, investigating critical quality defects on in-process and finished products, generation and analysis of quality data and reports
- Insures all customer feedback is promptly dealt with and any complaints are acted upon by the plant using root cause analysis and implementing corrective action
- Supports safety as a top priority in training, job design and regulatory compliance
- Ensures product quality. Establishes and manages systems for “right first time” performance and incorporates this philosophy in the continuous improvement teams.
- Commit to overall safety of the plant and procedures.
- Perform strategic thinking and actively participate in plant and company processes.
- Build and retain a “customer focused” environment; including internal and external customers.
- Adhere to all plant Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs), operating procedures (SOPs). Manage, drive and oversee continuous improvement programs.
- Communicate the needs of all quality and safety operations functions to the Production Manager and or Plant Manager and local Management team on an as needed basis.
- Develop and analyze new methods of reducing/avoiding costs, improving products and assuring a safe working environment.
- Investigate incidents, monitor medical care.
- Assist in conducting (leading) safety inspections, meetings, and training programs.
- Create and conduct new-hire safety orientation program.
- Monitor light duty program: develop jobs, communicate with physician/doctor, etc.
- Complete and maintain all paperwork with regards to work-related incidents.
- Assist Divisional Safety Manager in filing workers compensation insurance related information and obtaining quotes.
- Assist Divisional Safety Manager of purchasing safety equipment and systems.
- Maintain membership in applicable safety or environmental associations to stay informed of new developments and trends.
- Prepare legal notices, postings, and reports as required by government and regulatory bodies.
- Comply with company policies and procedures.
- Additional duties as assigned by management.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES:
- Leadership and Management
- Systemic problem solver, implement solutions to solve root cause problems
- Inspires team spirit and loyalty to organization
- Able to handle multiple, complex priorities and balance the needs of each according to business impact
- Coaching, Motivating and Mentoring
- Sets expectations, tracks and communicates results, and creates environment for accountability for results and actions
- Understands and uses individual and team development tools
- Confident to give employees space to learn and make mistakes
- Strong written, oral and communication skills
- Excellent listener. Ability to translate operational issues into corrective action procedures.
- Creative and change oriented. Continuous Improvement process skills
- Strong ability to learn
- High energy, assertive, energetic and a self-starter
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- College degree in manufacturing, engineering, logistics or equivalent work experience
- Experience in a variety of manufacturing areas (production, logistics)
- Experience in quality system management or mfg/corrugated leadership preferred
- Competent with MS Office and Statistical software
- Previous ISO certification preferred
- Employee is regularly required to walk and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Vision requirements include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, and fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.